Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pregnancy Brain - WHAT?

From wisegeek.com:




Pregnancy

brain is a condition that affects expectant mothers, usually during the first and third trimesters. Sometimes known as placenta brain or baby brain drain, the condition is usually characterized by short-term memory loss or forgetfulness. Some medical experts say that pregnancy brain is a myth, but evidence shows that many women have experienced this condition.

 
It's understandable that women's emotional levels vary greatly during pregnancy. Hormonal surges, combined with the fact that pregnant women must eat for two and may be getting less sleep, are contributory. A great deal of the mother's time is taken up with thoughts of the baby, so a little forgetfulness is expected.

Increased levels of the hormone progesterone are thought to be a culprit in pregnancy brain. Progesterone can often cause headaches, mood swings and fatigue. The increase of progesterone is often greatest in the first trimester and may be the reason for increased forgetfulness throughout pregnancy.

Yep, it is happening.  I always said "what a bunch of caca" when it came to the concept of "pregnancy brain".  The only thing I really ever thought about it was - ok, fine blame your lack of sleep on something, blah blah blah.  Welp.  Time for me to eat some serious crow.  This shit is real folks. 

I have been "suffering" (yes, I now consider it a "condition") from this said pregnancy brain for about a month now.  It continues to get worse.  You should see me in the morning all over the house, up the stairs, down the stairs, getting my work bag ready- hell getting ready.  It is quite the sight and incredibly frustrating.  Though frustrating I do find space to laugh at myself and pull it together!

Now, lets discuss pregnancy sympathy symptoms....  another thing I thought for sure was another crock of shit....  I stand corrected.  Here is what I found (look, it even has a special name)!




Couvade syndrome
also called sympathetic pregnancy, is a condition in which a partner experiences some of the same symptoms and behavior of an expectant mother. These most often include minor weight gain, altered hormone levels, morning nausea, and disturbed sleep patterns. In more extreme cases they can include labor pains, postpartum depression, and nosebleeds.[1] The labor pain symptom is commonly known as sympathy pain.
Couvade syndrome is not a recognized medical condition.[2] Its source is a matter of debate. Some believe it to be a psychosomatic condition, while others believe it may have biological causes relating to hormone changes.

Upon further research I also found this "condition" is not exclusive to your partner.  It also affects your very close friends and coworkers.  Uh oh, guess what??  It has made its move on a couple of my friends from zits to brain.  This was made official a couple days ago while looking for a fire extinguisher.  I will leave it at that.  Sorry ladies, I love you and the Ninja will be here soon and all these zits, mood swings, migraines and forgetfulness will be totally gone. 

Long of the short.  It is bad, it is real and I am ready for it go away. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment